Within the CHAT community we actively promote equality for all, to take part in discussions, conferences and other events.
We work actively against behavior that creates a hostile or intimidating environment.
We promote an inclusive environment aimed at fostering discussion and exchange of ideas, which promotes diversity and rejects prejudice of any kind.
We reject any action, language or attempts to belittle or undermine other people or their opinions.
We do not accept bullying, harassment or abuse of any kind, including offensive comments and disruptive behaviour.
We do not tolerate discrimination of any groups or people due to race, religious or political views, gender or gender identity, age, nationality, language, or disability. This list is not exhaustive!
We expect everyone involved in CHAT events (including email lists and other forums) to follow ALLEA’s The European Code of Conduct for Research Integrity.
We promote a flat (i.e., non-hierarchical) environment where all opinions are considered equal and everyone will be treated with respect, irrespective of an individual’s position within the academic or professional hierarchy.
Some basic guidelines…
• Listen to others.
• Follow the Code of Conduct.
• Learn to recognize norms and behaviour that cause exclusion of people and groups and make sure you speak up to challenge these.
• React if you see or hear any inappropriate behaviour, show that you do not accept this behavior. Be an active bystander.
• Credit those who have helped you with your work. Our work and results are rarely created in isolation.
• Be careful with the use of jargon, it can make others (e.g. people new to archaeology) feel excluded. Recognize that non-native English speakers are present and be respectful when listening/speaking.
In sum, be aware of the diversity and challenges around, and treat others as you would like them to treat you. We want to promote a friendly and engaging environment that brings the best out of everyone. Take the lead and act. We will try to do so from the CHAT Standing Committee.
We trust it is in the interest of all of us to follow this Code of Conduct. Enforcing it is challenging, but together we can create the environment we want.
CHAT Standing Committee
19th October 2020